Thursday 2 August 2012

Week 1 b Pre Tutorial and Readings

Thoughts on the readings.

Through engaging with the readings as well as putting myself into the future, it has come to my attention that people, technology and basic requirements such as food, water and shelter will form the basis of my sustainable future.

All forms of life and/or inanimate objects have been connected on a scientific level, but I believe the connection will be stretched to a new extreme. The idea of a digital connection is growing in my mind. Monitoring and adjusting, control of the surrounding elements will happen at ease, I think life in the future could be less life than present life.

After reading:

Sadler, S., 2005. Beyond Architecture. In. Archigram: Architecture Without Architecture, Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press. pp90-138

My thoughts were guided towards dealing with population and what built forms would consist of. The idea of modularity was presented by sadler, a modular life has been identified since the mid sixties. From living in a city and a dorm, the idea of smaller adjustable or interchangeable spaces intrigues me. Units must be standardized to the extent that conversion is not an issue and exchange is complete with ease. The simple motion of plugging in a component or removing an unwanted idea. 

As my mind wanders, i believe that in the future, digital and physical life will have their boundaries blurred.

The last thought was one which revolved around supporting life, and how modular design is mixed with nodal planning and cluster communities which would be self sufficient. The earth as we know it is running out of resources, better management can only support so much life. What drastic actions are needed?

No comments:

Post a Comment